Blogging for business, where to get inspiration for blog content topics.
“I have nothing to write about” or “what could people want to read” or “I really don’t think I know enough to write a blog on a regular basis” …
Bull-Hooey I say!
Yeah that’s probably a Canadian term (or possibly a Kathy term), but you get the gist of it! Excuses don’t cut it. Everyone can blog. Sometimes you need a little help but you can do it.
You are a specialist in what you do – people come to you for your services and products… they trust you will help them achieve their goals. Specialist, Expert or even just “Really Good at what I Do” it all means the same thing… you are skilled!
Blogging is really taking the skills you have and creating words into a short article that has relevant and valuable information for visitors to your website.
The best tip I can share about getting blog ideas is to be on the lookout at all times for learning lessons.
Learning Lessons in Life come from many places, but for my business and for blogging I am always on the lookout in three main areas.
- Daily Life experiences that can be related back to business
- Courses taken and what was learned from them
- Problems clients have and the solutions you implement with them
Be on the Lookout for Inspiration and keep a Blog Idea Notebook
When you are always thinking in terms of “Oh that would be a good idea for a blog post” this means you are in the blog zone mode. Now… how do you remember the ideas?
Keep a special place for Blog Ideas. You need to remember the inspiration for the articles in order to have something to trigger you when you sit down for your blog writing time that you have blocked out in your calendar.
A note book can come in many varieties. I keep a few things on hand.
- A small notebook in my car / purse. Things happen all the time in the world. I write the basic thought to remember.
- Sitcky notes for your office. I keep special coloured pink sticky notes just for blog ideas.
- My Big Blog Notebook with a list of main topics I should tink about but also the start of articles for times when I am not at my computer and the ideas start flowing. I can write most of it in these cases and then transfer to computer during my blog writing time.
- My phone … If I am somewhere when an idea hits and have nothing to quickly jot down the idea, I email myself a note using my phone. You can also use an app that is like sticky notes too – every phone has several apps for this.
The point is – get the inspiration and ideas to paper or on record somewhere so when the time comes for your “writing block” you have no excuse for no ideas.
You will find once you actively look for the ideas… you will have more. Soon you may find yourself getting ahead and have tons to write about.
Figure out what reminder system will work best for you so we can go from idea to article!
Learn to do more with your marketing by understanding the Foundations of Content Marketing with this free guide.
Online Marketing with IMPACT so you Get Clients! My passion is helping to guide people just like you, dietitians, coaches and service based business owners, who are often frustrated with all the advice and ideas out there and all the wasted time spent on marketing that gets you nowhere. Check out all the free resources on my Pepper It Marketing website, especially this guide for Online and Content Marketing. I also offer several self-study training programs to help you get more traffic to your website, more leads on your email list so you can make More Sales!