Are you trying to figure out how to make it easy for people to download your lead magnet?
It seems that you are not alone, many people have this same problem. In fact, this past week, I offered my advice on this very topic no less than three times. So, I thought a lesson on how to do this the best way possible would be helpful. Read on to learn the best way to host your Lead Magnet files for ebooks, PDFs, Word or Excel docs and white papers.
This problem came up in several online groups I belong to and each time the people had a similar issue: trouble getting people the files, not sure how to get the files out to the people asking for them. And then the biggest question is, where are the files stored?
Yes, some folks had no idea on even where to place the file so people can get a copy. All of this is part and parcel of building your email list and making sure you have it set up, so it works well is the key to success to getting new names on your list AND giving people that freebie they are looking for!
No matter what email marketing system you use to deliver your lead magnet, these basics will apply to everyone. So if you are unsure of setting up a lead magnet or want to check for an optimal way… this lesson is for you!
What is the Best Way to host your Lead Magnet Files?
As I mentioned, I seemed to stumble upon three different folks this week who were having trouble with their lead magnets and stuck with what to do.
One had no idea how to get the file to people who wanted it. Another knew they needed it uploaded somewhere but not sure where. And the third was stuck because they had a newer version of the file and now when they upload the file on their website the URL changes.
These are similar issues that many people come to me when we do an assessment of their online foundations. Often, the lead magnets are not set up effectively so that people can get them whenever needed and easily too.
To give you an idea of the foundations… here is a basic layout of what you need to make a lead magnet happen:
- Email Marketing System. Setup the system with emails and/or tags (depends on the system) and create a signup form where people enter their name and email to get the Lead Magnet
- Lead Generation Page. With the lead magnet form – ideally on your website – when people fill out the form they get added to your email marketing system
- Thank You Page. You can also direct them to a thank you page at this point – you can have the link to the lead magnet on the page or use it for other things. I like to try and have them connect on social media, read a relevant blog or even upsell them to a special offer, while waiting for the email with the lead magnet. (** NOTE: Your email system may have a required double opt-in email at this stage and they must click it BEFORE you can send them any further emails. If this is the case, do NOT give them the lead magnet on the thank you page otherwise they get the lead magnet and you may never get their permission to email them)
- Thanks and Delivery Email. Then they should get an email that delivers the lead magnet – and in here it will have a link to the lead magnet file. The file should be stored where it can easily be downloaded, and I also like to make certain that I can update this file (and the link) and certain people can always download it – even if they do not open the email for months.
- Nurture Emails. At this stage you may also have a nurture sequence in place that follows and takes these new leads on a path to learn more from you.
These are the 5 main pieces you need in play for your list building, and the one that gets people messed up the most tends to be the file for the lead magnet.
My best advice on this is to use Amazon’s AWS S3 Console Storage service for the files. This is the Amazon Web Service and they have a ton of other services and options it can do, way more than store files, but that is mainly what I use it for.
The key reasons I like it for this are:
- Saves from storing the files on your website server taking up space and potentially slowing your site speed down.
- The URL can remain the same even when you make updates and changes to the file. When you update on most WordPress websites – it is stored by date and the same for most email systems if you use their file storage.
- You are not depending on your email system to store the doc – and almost every email system can track the clicks of any links, so you still know if people clicked and downloaded the doc.
- Low fees for storage. I pay less than $5 a month and I have several website backup files stored here (okay several means 30+ sites) as well as lots of audios and video files too which can be huge!
- It’s simple to use! Login, upload the file, make the file public, copy the URL and boom – you are all set!
So, as you review your lead magnet setup and delivery, check out how you have those lead magnet files set in place and consider using the AWS Storage system as an optimal alternative for having them where they can be easily accessed, updated and not use up your own website server space.
Watch this video on how to upload a file to AWS.
A Bonus Tip! Test out your system at least monthly. Whether you are checking on signups or testing it directly, be sure your system is working, or you could be missing out on valuable leads. Any lead can be a new Client. Don’t miss any of them!
Click here and grab my Online Marketing Foundations checklist to determine if you are missing any critical foundations to make sure your marketing has an impact!
Be sure to connect with me on Instagram or my Pepper it Marketing Facebook Page (it’s free) to get tips and tricks to help you with your online marketing.
Online Marketing with IMPACT so you Get Clients! My passion is helping to guide people just like you, dietitians, coaches and service based business owners, who are often frustrated with all the advice and ideas out there and all the wasted time spent on marketing that gets you nowhere. Check out all the free resources on my Pepper It Marketing website, especially this guide for Online and Content Marketing. I also offer several self-study training programs to help you get more traffic to your website, more leads on your email list so you can make More Sales!