When you package your services, you can boost your income!
There are ways to help you make more sales in your business or practice. One is by being more effective on consult calls and the other is by creating packages of your services so that you are not relying on one-off sessions for your income.
Today, we are going to go a little deeper on creating packages of your services. This is one of the TOP questions I get asked by clients and students:
How to package your services.
If you want to make more money in your business, the best solution is learning to package your services and doing it in a way that commits clients to a longer term working with you.
You will bring in more revenue and more profit for your business. And as I mentioned last week, your clients get better results when they take the time they need and finish working with you to accomplish that solution they were seeking.
Offering packages help them complete their work with you. So, let’s create a package of your services.
It can be done fairly easy by following my 12 Step Process to Create a Package of Services. This helps you create your package and assign it a value for marketing it to clients.
You can offer the package to current clients too, but you may need to incentivize them to change what they do now. You can let them know a rate change is coming into place, and I would also be proactive with current clients and offer them a good deal to commit to that longer term.
Let’s get to work on the 12 Step Process to Create a Package of Services.
** You will probably want to print this off and try it yourself – pen and paper make this exercise work much smoother when trying to follow the math and formulas.
Here are the 12 Steps to Package your Service:
- Choose your most often requested service. The one people come to you the most for – your top seller.
- List out what you charge for one session. $ _________
- List how many sessions you need to be the MOST Effective with the client and for the client. = _________
- Multiply #2 by #3 = $_______
- Make a complete list of all the extras you give clients with this service. I.e.. What extras or bonus items do you give them? Handouts, resources, behind-the-scenes work you do … list it all out.
- Put a $ value on the resources and extras you “give” a client as part of the service. I.e.. If you give them a recording of a class, program, or session – what do you sell that for? If you have handouts, what value can you place on that? Value it all. Total = $__________
- How much behind-the-scenes time do you spend on working with this client, just behind-the-scenes time? **By the way, this is probably time/expertise you’ve been giving away by not accounting for it in One-Off Session rates or services. Total time = ___________
- Value of your Behind-the-Scenes time. Multiply #7 by the per hour rate you charge in #2. = $_________
- Add together the total values in #4, #6, and #8. This gives you the total value of the package. = $_________
- Take the total in #9 and divide by #3 (the number of sessions you want to offer in the package) = $_________. This is your TRUE per session rate because it factors time behind the scenes and the value of the resources added. We often adjust this now to make an even number. Determine your ADJUSTED rate for a one-off session: $_________
- UPGRADED VALUE of the Package. This adjusted one-off session changes the value of the entire package. We now base the value of the number of sessions from #3 at this new ADJUSTED rate. Doing this also raises the value of the entire package. You determine the new value of the package based on this ADJUSTED session rate. New value of package by changing #2 to your ADJUSTED session rate from #10, and then update #4 and add together the NEW total values in #4, #6, and #8. = $___________.
- To create the Value-Based Package Price, use your current rate from #2 (though if you now feel you have been shortchanging yourself on time given away – Increase it and do this entire exercise again based on your new INCREASED SESSION rate) as the base for your package rate. This makes it more attractive as a Package Price versus the one-off Session price. Doing this shows the client they save money signing up for a package instead of the one-off sessions at higher rates. They will see that they pay less per session because they commit to a longer time to work with you.
UPGRADED Value-Based Package Price is now $___________. This adjusted one-off session changes the value of the entire package.
Try it yourself…with a guided lesson I have for you.
You can download a PDF of this lesson and a sample package lesson to follow along.
Print it out and go step by step and see what your package looks like. I think you will find you are giving a lot away by doing one-off sessions and having packages will see a change in your business and your bottom line!
BONUS PRICING STRATEGY
Payment plans. Depending on how often a session will be held, you may want to offer a full pay and multi-pay option. I.e. If you offer 12 sessions over three months or six months, offering a 3-pay option or a 6-pay option will help make it easier for the client to say yes and buy from you. I always add a premium to a payment plan.
PROTIP Whenever you position prices on your website, start with the payment plan first. It is a lower amount and more appealing.
How do you sell this package to clients?
Remember the selling feature is the value you offer them, which often comes across as the cost savings and the bonuses.
If you do this for your business, you will see not only a change in revenue, but also a change in how long clients work with you and the results they get. It’s a Win-Win all around!
You may want to leave current clients alone and only sell this to new clients. But if you do approach current clients, make sure you focus on the value for the client to commit to a longer term with you.
If you want to change their rates, one way to entice them to the package is to focus on the added bonuses – the value added in a longer term.
They can stay at the one-off session, but let them know the rates are now higher (with current clients you may only want to offer the one off at a nominal rate increase i.e. Go from $100 to $110) and let them know new clients pay the full rate for One-Off sessions.
New clients will only ever know the package rate and the new one-off session rate. AND! You have really just given yourself a raise! Good for you!!!
I know this was a lot of instructions and a lot of math, but it will help you bring in more money!
Remember to grab the guided lesson to price your own package of services.
You can download a PDF of this lesson below and a sample package lesson to follow along.
Stop Struggling and Start Thriving! My passion is helping to guide people just like you, dietitians, and private practice owners, who are often frustrated with all their wasted time spent on marketing that gets you nowhere. You can learn strategies to attract a steady flow of clients and build a thriving and profitable practice. Get started with some of the free resources on my Pepper It Marketing website, especially this Marketing Guide for Dietitians. I also offer several self-study training programs to help you attract more clients so you can have the Freedom and Security you want with your business!