Ever wonder why people do online giveaways?
Why someone takes the time to set up an online giveaway and why people sign up for the freebies you can get in one? Let’s breakdown how giveaways work so you understand them more, in case you get an opportunity to take part in one.
We are heading into some trying times as we hit the beginning of the 2nd quarter of 2020 in the midst of a global pandemic. I hope you saw the tips I shared last week to try and help, if not, click here to read them.
Before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I was getting set to take part in an online giveaway that I still decided to share with my community, because there may be some tools in it to help them in their businesses.
As I was prepping all my marketing for it, I realized not everyone may understand how a giveaway works, so I wanted to lay out the details for you and give you my behind the scenes marketing expertise on this. There are definitely benefits to taking part in a giveaway, but it’s always important that you understand how it works and what the goals are behind it. This can often help you realize why a giveaway can be a good thing when the opportunity presents itself.
HOW DOES A GIVEAWAY WORK?
Generally, there are three parties involved in a giveaway.
A. The host. This is the person who’s organizing the giveaway.
B. The experts. The folks that the host gets to participate and give away the items.
C. The audience. This is built up of the online community of each of the two main parties, their email subscribers and connections online.
Each party involved will take part for a different reason, but the big picture to understand is that a giveaway like this is a list building tool for everyone involved on the back end part, i.e. the hosts and experts.
By taking part as an expert, I will build my email marketing list with new people who may not be connected to me at all. The same thing will happen with the host.
Here is how hosts and experts build their email lists on a giveaway and what the audience can expect too …
- You, as someone who hears about it, sign up for the giveaway itself. This puts your name on the email list for the host. You can expect to get emails from them. But, if you don’t want to stay on it, unsubscribe after you get what you need.
- Once you sign up, the thanks page you get directed to is actually the page with all the giveaway details. This is where you can look through all the giveaway items, check out the experts and view what interests you. Sometimes they are sorted by topics. Sometimes they offer paid items as a freebie. Sometimes it is a free lead magnet. Sometimes you may also get entered in a raffle. (The one I was involved in in early 2020 had some experts offering a raffle item too, including myself – I was offering 3 months in the Insiders Club for free.)
- You, as the audience, sign up for the giveaway items you want to receive, one by one, knowing that as you do this, your name / email go on the expert’s email list too.
- Then each expert will send you the info or item you requested via email or on a thanks for signing up page.
- Once you receive all the items you wanted, you can expect to get more emails from each expert you signed up with. As you get their emails, you may realize you can learn a lot from them and like the content, you may go on to buy something from them. Some experts may send you what you signed up for, and you then realize you don’t want anymore from that person, so you can unsubscribe from their list by clicking the link in any of their emails.
Giveaways are great if you go into them with your eyes open. 😊
Know that you can get all sorts of free tools, you could win some things, and you will get a bunch of emails. But you will also get lots of great info to help you move forward, and today that may just be that special something you need; a special tool, handout, checklist, free training — something that can help you do more with your business. Something to help you that you never saw before or never thought about before.
The whole idea behind a giveaway, as the host or expert, is to help you get more leads, with the goal of the leads turning into more sales, more clients, and more PROFIT in your business. To help you reach your goals.
So, the next time you hear about a giveaway, or get invited to one; remember this article to understand how it can work to help you and consider checking it out or signing up to take part in it. Don’t just assume that it is not anything you want take part in and say no.
Be open to it. Check it out as an expert or check it out and sign up for it to see what tools might be there to help you. After all, the price is only your email and you can easily unsubscribe anytime.
A recent giveaway I took part in brought in 145 new subscribers to my email list and now my role is to build that relationship with them to create loyal subscribers and readers of my emails.
Still have questions on this? Ask away on my Facebook page or by posting a comment below.
PS. The current giveaway I am taking part in, I am offering prize in part of the big prize package too... My gift is my Foundations of Content Marketing guide + a special Bonus tipsheet that I made just for dietitians and wellness pros for this event! Along with tons of other goodies and resources to fuel you professionally and personally!
Online Marketing with IMPACT so you Get Clients! My passion is helping to guide people just like you, dietitians, coaches and service based business owners, who are often frustrated with all the advice and ideas out there and all the wasted time spent on marketing that gets you nowhere. Check out all the free resources on my Pepper It Marketing website, especially this guide for Online and Content Marketing. I also offer several self-study training programs to help you get more traffic to your website, more leads on your email list so you can make More Sales!